03 November 2008

BRMC - The Effects of 333

Let me preface my post with this: I loves me some Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Catch their live show, and they're one of the best bands on the circuit today.

That said, maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough for their newest release, "The Effects of 333". Released at 3:33am November 1st (in celebration of Dia de los Muertos), 333 is a 10 track ambient soundscape. In some places, particularly the title track - I'm reminded of someone accidentally dialing me from the cellphone in their trouser pocket. Perhaps I'm just not getting it, but I find this album largely unlistenable. Maybe that's why it's a self-release.
From the BRMC website (http://blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/):

"Released independently of any record company, it will be available as a digital download only through our new music store.We are proud to announce our first release independent of any record company. As our first release through our Abstract Dragon label, this record is exactly that – no lyrics, no apologies, no regrets, just abstract. This has been in the works for the last 3 years at least, on and off the road, in hotel rooms, bus bunks, and back stage."

Tracklisting -
1. The Effects Of 333 2. Still No Answer 3. I Know You're In There 4. And With This Comes 5. A Sad State 6. A Twisted State 7. Sedated With Sterilized Tongues 8. We’re Not Welcome Alone 9. Or Needed 10. And When Was Better

If you're more a fan of BRMC's other work, here's a recording from their latest tour in support of the album Baby 81:


Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Mod Club, Toronto, Canada 11.08.2008

01. 666 Conducer
02. Berlin
03. Weapon of Choice
04. Ain't No Easy Way
05. Stop
06. White Palms
07. In Like the Rose
08. In Like the Rose (take 2)
09. Red Eyes and Tears
10. Six Barrel Shotgun
11. Salvation
12. Heart + Soul
13. The Absent
14. A Fine Way to Lose
15. Visions of Johanna
16. Mercy
17. Shuffle Your Feet
18. Howl
19. River Styx
20. As Sure as the Sun
21. American X
22. Whatever Happened to My Rock n Roll
23. [encore]
24. Pretend
25. All You Do is Talk
26. Took Out a Loan
27. Steal a Ride
28. Spread Your Love

No comments:

Post a Comment